This past year has been full of all kinds of exciting things for me. We got a new dog back in spring, I finished my first ever novel (and completed a second one too), started editing for the first time, and I’ve continued to write since. I’ve traveled to Colorado and taken another college class. And while there were moments of doubt in my writing and grief at my grandfather’s passing (and our cat’s passing too), I’d say this year has been one of the best. 🙂
I’m hoping next year will be just as great as this one. I know I’ll get to travel again (Florida this time!), and I’m most likely going to take another college class, as well as learn how to drive (yes, I still haven’t learned how yet).
So, without further ado, here is a list of eight things I wish to accomplish in the new year. Most of them, of course, will be writing related. 😉
2013 resolutions to myself:
- First and foremost, be a better Christian. This includes being more forgiving of others, being less selfish, being more helpful, reading the Bible more, and praying more.
- Write and/or edit every single day, even if it’s only for five minutes. Daydreaming/thinking/planning doesn’t count. Aim for at least one hour each day, but if that doesn’t happen, don’t beat yourself up for it.
- Finish the revisions on your novel, Secrets, before the start of the summer.
- Have beta-readers look over the novel. Listen to their feedback, don’t take it personally.
- After receiving beta-reader feedback, show said novel to family and friends during the summer. Don’t panic, cringe, hide, or chicken out from doing it. Their feedback will only improve the story.
- Try to get that novel published before your eighteenth birthday. That gives you until the end of September…
- Ignore internet distractions. Ignore new books. Ignore old books that happen to be sitting on the self above your head as you write. Writing comes first. There will always be time to check email and read later.
- Be better about keeping your room clean. No more pile-making, dumping, or excuse-making. And this includes the summer months, when the room turns into a smelly, messy caterpillar zoo. Keep it clean!
There you have it. I was hoping to have ten resolutions, but I could only think of eight. I guess I could’ve added that I want to try to eat better and exercise more, but seriously. That just isn’t going to happen. Maybe a week in a row at most of eating awesomely healthy and exercising for one glorious hour a day, but it just wouldn’t last. I should just focus on writing instead.
I hope everyone has a healthy, fun, and safe 2013! Have you made your resolutions yet?